Menu

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Nature Walking

Ethan & I have been going on early morning nature walks for the past 3 weeks or so.  When school was in, we would walk the girls to school and then keep walking.  Well now that it's summer vacation, I decided that I would not stop walking. Ethan wakes up by 6:30 every morning (sometimes earlier) so why not get him up and walk before the heat?  So, that's what we've been doing.  Every morning I would rather lay in bed and try to sleep.  But then I think about how good I do feel after the walk, like I have accomplished something for ME. 

We have been going to the new neighborhood.  I was walking through the trail until we were met by a snake one morning.  That made me take a detour.  Now we walk through the neighborhood.  There is construction going on, so it's fun seeing the progress.  We walk around a lake to the new neighborhood.  It's so peaceful.  Birds are getting their breakfast.  Today we saw a turtle peeking out at us from the water.  I have taken 2 photos of our walk around the lake.  Remember, it's about 7:00 am when we start our walk, so it's still "cool" out and not too sunny (but it's already very humid).

As we walk through around the lake, I'm reminded of all of the blessings I have.  My family, my home, my friends, my life.  I just thank God while we're walking. It's so peaceful.  Nobody is up yet.  Just the birds.  I'm so thankful for this time of quiet (even though it's so humid out).  :-)

But like I said earlier, we were detoured on our walk a few weeks ago due to a snake waiting for us.  If you know me, then  you know I do not like snakes.  They are just gross.  I'm terrified of them.  Well, the other day we were walking in the STREET and I saw this snake.  I froze, again.  I remember Bill telling be with the first snake, that I should have taken a photo for the girls to see.  So, I took out my phone to take a photo of this snake.  I could not get any closer.  LOL  I think it is dead.  And it still freaked me out.

And if snakes weren't enough, we came across a frog today.  I also think it's dead.  But it still grossed me out.  Why can't I see precious wildlife?  LOL  One day Ethan will think this is all so cool.  But right now he could care less.  I have a friend who is a little jealous of the wildlife we've seen around here. She's seen nothing.  We have also seen a small gator in 1 of the lakes.  I try not to walk by that lake. LOL

Ethan & I walk for about 35 minutes.  I feel so much better when we are done.  My goal this summer is to walk at least 5 mornings a week (if possible).  I'm not walking just for fun.  I'm also walking to get into shape.  I've been losing weight since last Sept.  I decided I needed to change how I eat.  I have given up Coke. I was an addict.  I would drink a 2 liter all by myself in a day.  Not good!  Since Sept, I have lost 24 pounds.  I feel so much better.  My goal now is to tone up and get healthy.  I hope to journal about my weight loss one day.  I told a friend how I do not see the change.  And then she sent me a photo from about 18 months ago. I could not believe it.  Yes, there is change! 

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment